Saturday, November 27, 2010

apathetic political blogger

The entire Victorian election campaign has run without a whisper of a mention on this page. Why? Well, I'm patently more interested in writing about food than politics these days. Please forgive me.

I will say that on a local level, the seat of Melbourne is a direct battle between Labour and The Greens. The Liberal party doesn't get a look in around here. Two posters abound in this neighbourhood. Labour is running its simple red on white placards pronouncing "I like Pike", catchy but rather meaningless. The litter in my letter box from that party has been yet another anti-Greens campaign. Sadly, not a single love letter from Peter Garrett this time. Who'd have reckoned he'd have lost his cred with the environmental crowd when he joined Labour?

Oh and Peter, I'm still waiting for a reply to my letters, the ones I sent you in 2006.

The Greens on the other hand have managed to sum up the thoughts of many disaffected Labour voters. Their billboards feature ordinary people saying "My values haven't changed, my vote has". Simple and effective.

So does an intelligent voter in this neighbourhood go for the person who presents herself as likable (yes but Minister Pike what have you done that you're proud of lately?) or the man with values (a human rights barrister who I've heard talk at many public events over the years)?

The electorate will decide.

It could be a long night, or week due to the high amount of early votes this year that won't be counted til Monday.


For a more thoughtful piece on Labour's score card, read Helen's post on Why I'm not voting Labour tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link Gill! I'm still mourning the demise of Garrett's progressiveness (as well as that of the entire party, it seems.) I still put Labor after Greens below the line for the upper house, except for Martin Pakula because you know, public transport. I put him after the sex party :-)

12:34 pm  
Anonymous Helen said...

D'oh sorry, me, not Anonymous!

12:35 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

The Sex Party has some delightful policies and their how to vote person had a big smile plus surgically enhanced breasts that was sure to nab the odd swinging voter*.

(*both literally and pun)

1:15 pm  
Blogger Marshall-Stacks said...

the loser party earned every non-vote

the stupid water plan, the stupid ticketing plan, stupid stupid.

Baillieu's hot daughters and his morning swim were all a gift to the newspapers though.

9:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts