Thursday, October 28, 2010

gifts

Clients don’t give me gifts very often. Nor should they. It’s a clear transaction of a prescribed fee for services plus the cost of any goods purchased. The time frame for the consultation is clearly set out. Everything is neat and tidy. Presents are way outside the realm of a commercial transaction.

But lately there has been an unexpected but delightful acknowledgment of going the extra mile so to speak. There was the gift of a beautiful necklace and scarf from a work trip to the developing world, steeped in meaning for the client but best of all accompanied by words from the heart written on a card. The next day another client I had not seen for many years gave me a sample of her knew product - beautiful, recyclable and artistic. Last week I was presented with a bag of spring greens freshly plucked from someone’s veggie patch, so vibrant and perfect.

There may be no more gifts again for many years and that is just fine. It really is the thought that counts.

Now to pay it forward. Is there someone you want to thank for taking a little extra care of you?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jo_blue said...

In my life, I want to thank the friends, online and off, who have taken care of me during what has to be the most difficult period in my life. I would love one day, to be able to thank them properly, when I am settled, back at home and am more financially stable.

And it is nice when someone shows just that little extra bit of appreciation. It's also nice to have someone to appreciate - someone who has obviously put in a lot of effort to get a job well done in the first place.

7:20 pm  
Blogger Ann O'Dyne said...

I gave the rural postman a dozen Very Free-range eggs last week, from the chickens I was house-sitting. Does that count?

Good to know your clients like you.

7:50 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Jo - I'm glad that you can see the future again :)
Ann - I'd be extremely pleased to be given happy chook eggs. It's one of my favourite gifts.

9:11 pm  
Blogger Zoe said...

The friend of mine in Melbourne I want you to meet was planning to leave a pretty card in a neighbour's postbox to thank them for the pleasure their beautiful garden brings her every time she passes.

One of the things I remember my mum saying to me as a kid raving on about something was "write them a fan letter!" - excellent advice (for once!)

9:47 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Zoe I love the idea of the card in thanks for the pleasure of seeing the garden. It's really lovely.

Was given some kaffir lime leaves this week, my cup runneth over :)

9:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts