Thursday, July 22, 2010

the Ulster man

Today I found my Great Grandfather's signature on the Ulster Covenant. It was a strange sensation, falling down an internet wormhole and emerging in 1912 in a troubled land.

Politically I've always felt my grandmother's lineage was on the "wrong" side of The Troubles. But it was an odd delight to read The Covenant's emotive language, though it could done with a darn good edit.



I hadn't intended to search family history but in a day I've found my grandmother's home town was spelt wrong on her reissued birth certificate and once that was unlocked a whole heap of information came tumbling down including The Covenant, 1901 census and 1909 census*. Along with it came three great uncles I never knew existed, her mother's date of death (at a mere 33 years old) and sundry information about the number of cow sheds on their farm.

Now if only I can find out more about my great grandmother Martha Jane McCullough?


* is the plural censi, censuses?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ann ODyne said...

I love family history, and was thrilled that my convict ancestor and his brother were sentenced after the Aylesbury Swing Riots of 1830.
McCullough is going to give you spelling headaches - my McColough*s were from Co.Cavan via Nova Scotia and built the first brick house in Bendigo.

Re your 'wrong side' - where people have the passion to care and act, there is no 'wrong side'.

4:06 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Spelling of almost every name (like "Cuteengrew" for Culnagrew), even the simplest ones seems to be wrong in many of the official documents. The matrilineal sides are always the most difficult.

But it is oddly thrilling :)

5:22 pm  
Blogger Marshall-Stacks said...

In 2001 I made a casual enquiry, to clear up a family thing that had never been discussed, and also found it so 'oddly thrilling' that I am still hard at it.
I haz a database. nearly back to adam and eve, which is the researcher's wet dream.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. Cat Politics has posted on Dan the ivy-covered, and rather gorgeous man and his performance at Basement Discs.

6:08 pm  
Blogger Lad Litter said...

What a fabulous discovery for you! Some of my antecedents were prominent identities at Carlton FC - so they were on the wrong side of football's troubles.

8:27 pm  
Blogger Rinkesh said...

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need!
coughing up blood

7:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts