Wednesday, May 12, 2010

to facebook or not to facebook, that is the question

Facebook was fun to begin with but over time I've become increasingly uncomfortable with the changes in their privacy policy. You know they have a right to use all your personal information and anything you've posted there, don't you?

I've weaned myself off status updates (with minor lapses) and currently I'm using it to receive invites for events, such as exhibition openings. But the real reason I haven't hit the delete button is a growing addiction to the odd game or two. I thought I would have got bored with bejeweled by now but strangely I haven't.

One day I suspect I'll just bite the bullet and opt out. Of course Facebook want to keep all my personal information, and yours, so they are making it very difficult. I'm archiving the following link, to remind myself that deactivation is different to deletion. Of course if you know all the ins and outs of that but haven't found how to actually delete your account, here's how to get deep into the belly of Facebook and directly delete your account - forever.

Forever, right? Well be warned. The above link with it's various steps will be aborted if you even accidentally click onto Facebook in the 14 days following your delete procedure. That means no clicking on those twitter links that annoyingly take you to Facebook pages without warning.

Have any of you deleted Facebook? Have you missed it?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous ThridCat said...

I haven't deleted/deactivated facebook, because I do use it to keep in touch with a few family and friends while I am away. I like it that way, it makes for simple contact. I did delete my twitter account again the other day - which I now realise was just deactivating, and that's why last time I 'deleted' it, I was able to retrieve it a few months later.

2:41 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Thanks ThirdCat - I too live away from my homeland and FB has been a way of keeping in touch. There have been a few nice reconnections with people I haven't seen in decades. Maybe I'm just feeling social-netwoked-out. The pressure to be online, to be present, to not miss out....

8:08 am  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

I'm using Facebook more now than I was, exactly because it's an excellent way of staying in touch with family and friends where we are so busy/have conflicting schedules that it's hard to find time to talk on the phone.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a talk giving by a Toronto "firebreathing feminist" and she talked about how the generation of pioneering feminists were kind of isolated from younger women and that a way to link up with the newer generations of feminists (or shamelessly influenced them about issues) was through Facebook. She recommended to everybody in the crowd - all mid-40s and up - that they join Facebook the minute they got home. Seeing it as something other than an inane social site, but as a tool that can be used for political rabblerousing made me think and decide to stick around.

2:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts