Tuesday, December 22, 2009

happy Solstice

In the early hours of this morning, the sun slipped into the sign of Capricorn heralding the Summer Solstice in the southern hemisphere. While North America and Europe has turned white with snow and the inhabitants face their longest night, we enter our longest day.

My intentions had been to do a ritual on waking this morning. I like to gather some greenery from the garden, infuse water with herbs, take a crystal (a remnant from my brush with the new age last century) and light a candle. At a makeshift altar I’d meditate for a while and then give thanks for all that I have in my life, let go of the feelings I’d like to discard and clean the slate for the new year.

Instead I woke with a head full of mucus and began psyching myself into the final countdown (30 hours) before my entire family arrive for their first Australian Christmas. I’ve had a number of Christmas’s with my siblings, though this is the first with my parents too.

I am a bundle of contradictions, I know, believing in no god (or gods) but love a good pagan ritual. I quite like a Buddhist Puja, the serenity of an old church and the mystery of meditation.

For now I have to drag my weary bones off to a modern temple of sorts, the supermarket, to fill the house with edible cheer. I will get my moment of reflection when my head is clearer.

Hope the season is treating you well, whatever your spiritual beliefs (or lack of).

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann ODyne said...

Still Life With pavlov's Cat, after throwing herself into proper pudding and cake preparation in November, is also stricken with summer cold.
This solstice needs another name I think.
Historic ceremonies were inspired by fear and awe, of the dark, the light, and the harvest. These days we all should meditate and give thanks that we have aircons roaring and gas-guzzlers rushing from mall to mall, and wretched 'Western' excess in the face of the earth imploding on us all.
I hope I don't sound silly suggesting you try to not worry about the little things when your family is gathered. They wont care if the cups don't match or the sauce has cooled - be happy you are all together.
Crippy Crimble one and all.

12:38 pm  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Merry holidays to you, too!

Can't help thinking of how warm you are, while my windows are frozen shut here in Toronto.

5:54 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

AnnOD - no I just worried about the big things like having food in the house to feed them and put something in their bellies on Xmas day. Three shopping trips and $500 later...looks like I might have bronchitis for xmas. Lucky me :)

Lene - awoke to news we had the hottest night for almost 50 years. I'd quite enjoy a white xmas :) Happy holidays to you too :)

8:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts