Friday, October 30, 2009

a bit of a shit week

The blogworld has bought me a handful of special, unexpected friendships. But this is the first time it has bought me sorrow.

I'm sad to report that The Editter died this week. We first met through her blog a few years ago and since then I've enjoyed our regular catch ups on trips home across the Tasman. This year our ritual breakfast at an excellent cafe in Cuba Street (Saturday, 9 am, same place, same time) got shelved. At Easter I had the pleasure of seeing her in hospital, to welcome her beautiful son. Then lastly two months ago, I visited her at home to say goodbye. It was week 1 of chemo, she wanted miso soup and she showed me the engagement ring her partner had just bought her, though was yet to formally slip on her finger. She was planning a beach wedding in December.

There's a cruel irony in dying so young, at 43, when your much wanted child is just 6 months old. Strangely, though my own brother died a decade younger, in the scheme of things The Editter's death seems more tragic.

What good can come of this? I love the health-giving properties of Vitamin D laden UV but melanoma is still a killer. Don't get sad reading this post if you don't know this wonderful woman, just check your spots and freckles instead. Visit your doctor asap if anything seems awry, or if you have no idea what you should look for.

The Editter was not careless with her health. She's wasn't someone to ignore her body. Pregnancy may have caused the undetected lesion to multiply out of control and spread to her brain, lungs, liver and adrenal gland before she knew it was there.

So you've got the message now. An odd spot or any kind of weird body thing happening anywhere that doesn't feel right. Get it checked.

Better safe than sorry.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Pavlov's Cat said...

I'm so sorry that you have lost your friend. What a brave woman.

10:51 am  
Blogger Ann oDyne said...

My fair Scottish heritage skin was burned to blisters many times in a beachside childhood and my father has had many carcinomas removed, his mahogany tanned lifesaver brother died of skin cancer.

The Vitamin D need, is apparently satisfied with 10 minutes exposure by nine square inches of skin.
Sorry I haven't gone metric on that.

It's not hard to be very sad for that child and the nice man who bought the lovely ring.

3:33 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

PC - yes she was. I am laughing and crying reading all the online tributes to her scattered in many corners on the internet.

Ann 'd - it's a little more complicated than that the old UV exposure thang. There's a great table in this article http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/182_06_210305/dia10848_fm.html
in the MJA showing just how my sun you need in different Australasian cities, at various times of the year. You might be surprised just how much skin and how much time in the sun we need in the Southern capitals.

Yes the gorgeous man with the ring is understandably devastated. There is his 10 yo son/her step son whose witnessed all this too ("George" and "George Junior" if you want to read The Editters early posts).

10:44 am  
Blogger Chai said...

Oh dear. :-(

11:58 pm  
Blogger Antipo Déesse said...

Thank you for writing this. I met Jenny twice on my last two trips home and I just loved her fun ways and warm welcome. She talked even faster than I do!

I am having trouble writing my own tribute to her. Yours is a comfort.

7:27 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Glad the words helped AD. On the map of Southland I found comfort that she was buried beside Lake George - her beloved George and George jnr keeping her company for ever :)

9:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts