Wednesday, February 11, 2009

putting it out there

I was talking to my sister in NZ on the weekend. She’d just got off the phone to a good friend in Melbourne, arranging a catch up for her upcoming visit. She was told mutual friends were frantic as their son was at home in St Andrew’s when the fires hit. They were out of town that weekend and were distraught, not knowing what had happened to him.

I got an update today:

C and D have lost their son, who was 22, in the fires. They still have their daughter (20) and their two dogs. They have no extended family in Aus and can't get back to their charred remains or have a funeral for their son yet. They are homeless and have a couple of very short-term places to stay. Then they will be looking for a place to rent in the Northcote, Preston, Coburg area because their daughter needs to be near the Hurstbridge train line for Uni. So if you know of anything that might meet their needs (2 dogs as well) please let me know. I thought it worthwhile to put the word out as I guess there will be many people looking for somewhere to rent now. I imagine once they have a home-base they will start feeling a little better.


Anyone got any firm leads on a long-term rental for this family?

The news from these fires just keeps getting worse.

My thoughts are with this, and every family, caught up in this unbearable horror.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Armagnac Esq. said...

That's awful, really sad. I will keep an ear to the ground...

11:22 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Thanks so much, my man on the ground in Northcote. I think most of us in Melbourne are feeling so helpless to do anything of any real value for all these people, that putting a word out on the digital tom-toms at least gives us some kind of purpose.

Glad your friends turned out to be alive and well.

9:57 am  
Blogger lucy tartan said...

None of those suburbs are on the Hurstbridge line, which I catch every day. Is the daughter an LTU student? email me if she is and I will give you the contact details for the uni's bushfire affected student support. And I will be more than happy to talk to the local realos here, who I've bought two houses from, about assisting your friends with the rental list.

1:14 pm  
Blogger lucy tartan said...

sorry, LTU = la trobe.

1:15 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I am pretty sure it is LTU and I was surprised at some of the suburbs...but then again the info came via NZ :)

Thanks.

1:26 pm  
Blogger antikva said...

A site has been set up to help people find housing
www.bushfirehousing.org

2:40 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Howdy, the site offers temporary housing from what I can see. These guys want somewhere to settle long term to rent, on their own rather than a few weeks at a time, which is what they have at the moment.

But if you know of anyone renting a house that is suitable let me know.

2:43 pm  
Blogger docwitch said...

That's just terrible. Unspeakably sad.

Being kind of in the area, I'll keep my ear to the ground, re rentals.

If they are thinking of renting in Northcote, it's possible they may want to be close to the High st tram that goes up to La Trobe Uni (?)
Also Hurstbridge line goes through Westgarth...so that's possible too...

7:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts