Sunday, November 09, 2008

618 - why voting rights like a license to drive should be reviewed with age

Conversation with my 82 year old father in New Zealand yesterday.

me: have you been out to vote already?
dad: yes
me: did mum* vote**
dad: no, I voted for her
me: what?!
dad: oh I ticked the boxes for her, she had no idea what to do

....til this moment I would have said my father is one of the most ethical people I know. All this was shot down in a moment.

However, while the election was a wash out for Helen Clark, ending a four term labour reign, there was one small victory. National did not win the seat that my parents voted in. Sadly though this conservative party seemed to have enough geriatrics ticking the boxes for them over all and have gained a clear majority (which is quite a feat under proportional representation) to rule.

* regular readers might remember my mum is going down the slippery path of Alzheimer's
** like the USA, voting is not compulsory in New Zealand

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann O'Dyne said...

Unfortunately the generations before 'Baby-Boom'ers have never had very much autonomy.
I have stories of my own in regard to women over 80 and voting.
It isn't just your parents.

Once, discussing an election with an elderly woman who was going to vote Liberal, as always, but knew NOTHING specific about them,
I asked "didn't you read that in the paper?"
and she replied:
"oh I never read the papers - there's nothing in them"

2:15 pm  
Blogger Bwca said...

Hi AOF - your link to Pavlov's Cats needs to be updated to Still Life With Cat

4:01 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Thanks - I am most recalcitrant with links at the moment...will attend to it anon...

9:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts