Wednesday, October 15, 2008

607 – media quickie

I don’t know whether to play the karma card or go down the “innocent til proved guilty” path on this one. But it does seem karmically very interesting that a politician who voted against the decriminalisation of abortion in Victoria only a few days ago, now finds himself being accused of sexual assault this week.

Alarm bells really rung when he delivered this statement today:
"I was shocked to read in today's Age statements from a person accusing me of the most horrible crimes that are totally against all the moral and religious values I believe in”


Moral and religious values. What, like a priest?

Or his brother, the first minister in the State parliament to be jailed.

Then there was the actress who I had til now respected, whose turned up in full page ads implying how good and healthy the world’s leading fizzy drink is. I’m guessing her life mightn’t be a bed of roses with her last teleseries being no “Sea Change” but it made me sad to see such a quirky, talented woman sell out like that.

But I’m nowhere near as mad as the Australian Dental Association who take umbrage with the same ad that says that it’s a myth that the aforementioned fizzy drink rots your teeth. Heck if it can clean off grease, how can it not eat away at your dental enamel too?

The only people I know who drink the stuff habitually haven’t many of their own teeth left. But I suppose we’d need a double blind, placebo controlled trial to prove the connection.


Shonky politicians, lying multinationals, paedophile priests all in the same post – I was having a bad day but must admit I feel much better now.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger docwitch said...

We must have been having the same kind of day. I've been musing/fuming/ruminating over these very things too.

Once again, the Labor Party are suitably mortified, and distancing themselves from the association.

The Wee Girl and I have been having conversations about fizzy drinks and teeth a fair bit lately. So far, she doesn't rate them.
We did an 'experiment' a few weeks ago, where we got some coke and poured it into a plastic cup and left it overnight. The following morning we looked at the what it had done to the cup, (quel fucking horreur), and the Small Person decided all by herself that it probably wasn't good for tummies. Gawd -I'm such a killjoy.

I wasn't aware of the 'Sea Change' factor...odd. I suppose actors sell out in a more public way than the rest of us.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Ann O'Dyne said...

Instant karma's gonna getcha orright.
'Sexaul assault' ? that would be like the rrape where victims really really want a termination when pregnancy occurs.
bloody hypocrite, bloody polly.

Back in 1971, to their credit, Daddy Cool refused Crock Cola's offer of $10,000 for musical endorsement (a huge amount: at the time the median house price was about $15,000).

11:52 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Docwitch - I love science experiments in the home :)

Ann o'D - it seems to me its always the righteous who are the most misogynous.

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts