Monday, August 04, 2008

thrift

A post in which another outspoken female reminisces about the good old days of her childhood. You've been warned!

Looking at that photo, I’m not only struck by how much my appearance has changed but how the way we live has as well.

I grew up in a comfortable middle class family, in a relatively new but small subdivision. While we were only one train stop from the city centre (an eight minute ride) the few streets of my suburb were nestled in a valley of farmland and native bush. There was a small playground and a ‘corner store” (there was no corner but it was a store, or dairy as we called it). Life was relatively simple. Dad went to work on the train each morning, mum got the kids off to school, cleaned, shopped and cooked each day. Once a week she’d drive across town to see her mother and three sisters in their various homes or workplaces. Though the soil wasn’t the best, she always grew a few vegetables, some rhubarb and a lemon tree in the garden.

But what got me most about the photo was this: my aunt made the skirt, my nana knitted the jumper and my other aunt cut my hair. No cobblers so the shoes would have been bought (a nice sensible t-bar style that I have no memory of according to another photo taken on the same day). There were hand-me-downs from my sister and the odd neighbour or relative. In fact some of the clothes I loved most in childhood and adolescence were pre-loved. Sure, I had my share of new, shop bought numbers but they weren’t necessarily coveted.

One aunt was a dressmaker by trade and another a hairdresser. Very handy skills. My own mother was a nurse. I remember the trail of injured kids bought to the door for first aid in my childhood. The worst was a crushed finger that got amputated at the top joint (a hospital job obviously, it was a capital city not the wild west). Though she even delivered a baby once I’m told.

Things got darned. Socks, jumpers, patches on jeans when the knees wore through. Shoes had heel and toe plates and when they wore down they got mended. Clothes were made with a generous seam and hem allowance, so they could be ‘let out’ as you grew. Oh and we were always bought clothes a little too big so we could ‘grow into them’ (have you noticed at a certain point in adult life this is reversed, clothes a tad too small are purchased to urge us into shedding a kilo or two).

At the end of its useful life when an item of clothing, or a sheet, could be patched no more, handed on or used for its original purpose it was turned into cleaning rags. My dad’s big white Y-Fronts would have a second life as a dusting cloth.

My mum always bought in bulk. Her sisters or neighbours would buy a cow, sheep or a pig. They’d get together and pack the portions, sucking the air out of each plastic bag before twisting the tie. I'll never forget the half a pig's head sawn down the middle, which for all her thriftiness stumped my mother's culinary prowess. In the 70’s freezer envy was at its height. In each garage lurked a massive freezer. I can still remember what it felt like to stand on tip toes and cantilever my body into the chest to get something from the bottom of it.

Curtains were lined to keep the heat in and my father was obsessive about shutting them the minute it was dark enough to turn the lights on inside. If you left the room you turned everything off – lights, heaters, TV, radio. They still have a habit of unplugging appliances from the wall when they leave the house. You put on a jumper (the same lovely ones that my grandmother knitted) before turning the heater on. There were slippers, pyjamas, thick woollen dressing gowns and hot water bottles.

I read blogs teaching people how to be frugal and it is nothing new. Just a generation that grew up with parents a few steps removed from the depression era mentality.

I still mend my shoes (nice Italian pricey ones turn out to be more economical than cheap ones in the end). I have been known to darn, however badly. I save buttons, even when I don’t use them later. I’ve finally got it into the Not Boyfriend’s head that in winter he needs to wear more than a t-shirt and not to put the heating on all the time. I still have to keep sneaking the thermostat down every time he uses the heater though.

No dead cows in this house but I prefer to cook with whole fish and if I need fillets, use the bones for stock that I freeze.

I still frequent op shops though these days I pass more things onto them then buy and the same goes for Freecycle.

I have a fascination for dumpsters and items left in the street for recycling. My ‘new’ wing chair came into the house this way last year.

But I like to welcome the evening light through uncurtained windows. You can only go so far I guess.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger docwitch said...

This is all so familiar to me, and it's a lot like how I grew up with my grandma. I remember when there seemed time to do all these things, so much of life was hand-crafted. I get all wistful and nostalgic for that life again.

We have this phrase now: 'slow living'. It used to be considered just 'living'. And no bloody Ikea. Sorry - I just had to say that; for some reason it feels connected to the topic.

11:59 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Ikea is slow living - have you ever put one of their self-assemble items together?

8:33 am  
Blogger Melba said...

what a lovely nostalgic post. so gentle those days seemed. i'm sure they weren't, i'm sure there were stresses in our parents' lives, but to look back, it just seemed gentler.

i'm with you absolutely on watching it get dark outside through uncurtained windows. i love that time of day. but when the chilly air starts to come in, through the glass, then i pull them.

hotwater bottles - i have one as do the 3 kids. nothing finer than a hottie in winter.

interesting about the mending/darning/using every inch of something. we certainly are a throw-away society. maybe we are heading back that way, to the slow-living of yore?

1:39 pm  
Blogger jo_blue said...

I agree with Melba, what a lovely trip back to the past. I think that we will eventually realise how wasteful we are and go back to those frugal days. It's just a matter of when.

And I don't mind IKEA things though I hate the mass appeal and the crowds and the fact that it's so big. That said, with all the junk you can buy nowadays, all my IKEA stuff (and we have an entire kitchen, kids furniture etc and some laundry storage thingys) has lasted. It's been functional, simple and that fact that we can and did put our kitchen together ourselves saved us wasting lots of money. It did take us most of the day though.

I'm jealous that you can watch the darkness come through the windows. Dusk is 'mosquito time' here, so we close all the windows and doors and I have opaque slat windows so I can't see out of them at all. So I close up and switch the lights and aircon on. Dusk is beautiful here though - balmy and very calming.

1:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts