Thursday, August 14, 2008

the post in which I whine about the weather

Here in the land of sunshine, it feels ungrateful to whinge about the weather. Contrary to some beliefs held by those who live in far off lands, the sun doesn’t shine all the time in Victoria. Melbourne has southern latitude of 37°, just like Athens in the north. Sounds good, til you remember that it snowed in Athens this year.

The weather people pre-empted this winter with a prediction that it would seem long and cold. They were right. Their point being that the pattern of the last few years was atypically mild and this year was a return to winters of old. At first we didn’t mind in the hope that it would bring rain but the grey drizzle still sees our total water storage at less than 1/3 full. We began the season with almost blitz-like cheerfulness every time clouds opened up but now, for most of us, we’ve definitely lost our mojo.

So we’ve been doing what we do best. Moan. Over the last few weeks it has started to reach a crescendo and I can assure you I am one of the loudest voices in the choir. Almost every conversation involves the line “I am so over winter”. Perhaps it is because the magnolias have been in bloom for a good month now and other trees have sprouted traditional pink, spring blossoms. However the sky remains grey and the light tepid at best.


False alarm: two weeks ago - the double rainbow

I am missing my fuel-inefficient, wilfully polluting open fire. Some days my bones have ached not with cold but for the longing to sit beside the burning logs with cats, a bottle of red or a pot of herbal tea and music playing. Instead I have taken to bed in a big way. I claim it is helping save the planet, being heated by the odd feline and my doona. But really I am grieving the fire. While the ‘new’ living area can be made warmer than it ever was, thanks to the touch of a button, it is just not the same. The fire was a great silent witness. It saw me through so many ups and downs. There were tears and laughter, great ruminations and some late night dancing.

I’m told spring is just around the corner but til then, you’ll find me curled up with the cats, spending far too much time on a wireless connection.

One upside though - the kitties certainly aren’t complaining.



gratuitous pussy pic: the step-sisters cuddle at last!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

We've gone from drought-like weather the past few years to an old fashioned rain-every -afternoon kind of Florida summer. Love the sound of that soft rain, and the sound of the grateful earth drinking it in.....Sweet kittens!

4:36 pm  
Blogger Molly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:36 pm  
Blogger docwitch said...

Oh yes. Roll on Spring, bring the end to this bitter Winter. That's my constant refrain these past couple of weeks.

And open fires are just the best aren't they? I still miss it, even though I haven't had one in a home for over a decade.
There is just nothing in this world like a fire, and the primal 'homing' instinct to draw near to the hearth, gaze into the flames, and draw deep comfort from its plenitude. I know they are grubby for the air an' all. But...

10:13 pm  
Blogger Melba said...

am i too late to add my moans and complaints?

while i'm loving the hottie every night (rubber bottle, not man-lover) and spooning it as i go to sleep, i am so sick of the cold and grey, wearing the same clothes (oh, for a light, flirty skirt and thongs). so tired of winter. it is longer and colder than it has been the last few years, and it has gone to back to how it used to be a little more.

brrrrrrrrr.

11:35 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

It's never too late to add your twopence to the moan-fest Melba.

Couldn't help laughing, I caught up with a couple of Wellingtonians experiencing their first Melbourne winter. They were loving our mild weather!

2:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts