Saturday, July 12, 2008

a sign?

The day that the new iPhones go on the market in Australia, the screen cracks on my very old, rudimentary mobile phone.

Do a wait a couple of weeks to let the hype settle and see if any other carriers come on board?*

The problem is, bar one very annoying issue with shared networks in New Zealand limiting my ability to text 90% of the people I know in that country, I am very happy with my chosen carrier. I can get a great capped rate with various handy features for a pittance. Only one of the three iPhone carrying companies is selling them upfront and that gets caught up in a $80 spend before you can switch networks (or pay it outright to get it unlocked).

My network has whispered that I should hold tight for a couple of weeks, they can't announce anything yet but they will soon be carrying the new whizz bang phone.

Anyone got any inside goss?


* Ok I am shallow. I am a Mac loving ludite and when the apple nips you, it gets you hard. Pathetic really, I know. As you can see if this is the greatest thing of concern in my life right now I really have nothing to complain about.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Melba said...

possible response no. 1: yeah, go for it, get it, fantastic, you'll love it, etc etc.

possible response no. 2: are you crazy? it will be shit. fugghedaboutit, etc etc.

the choice is yours.

ps did you see the leunig recently. he called it the "iWant".

my man wants one. i just know it. i'll send him here to see if he has any answers to your questions.

9:00 pm  
Blogger docwitch said...

What I've been told about these is to not buy the 1st gen. I s'pose this applies to just about any piece of technology. Wait awhile until they tweak them, and make 'em better, (this is from tech guys via The Bloke what works wiv 'em).

They should also get cheaper, because, well...ouch. They are pretty eccy right now.

I still want one of these even tho' I hate phones. I too pay homage to the MAC.

12:28 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I knew this post would expose my utterly shallow side but you've got to keep in context that I really am not into technology but have a ridiculous love affair with my mac. There is no microwave, TV, wii etc in my home. I don't run after name brand clothes and accessories. Make up wise I own one lipstick and no perfume. The reality is my phone is on its last legs and with the crack it is making texts very difficult to read, so it will need to be replaced. Cost wise the phone is a business expense and with most of the modern ones, only a few synch with a mac making things like music and photo impossible to access.

Doc - the ones out now are 2nd generation (3G). They still aren't perfect but at least half the issues have been fixed. But I am going to wait a month (old phone willing) to see what happens.

2:41 pm  
Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Hi, I was sent here by Melba.
My advice is keep away from this device as it is missing many features that so many other phones already have. It is likely to be 1-2 years before it catches up. The iPhone is a good iPod and mini mac but a relatively lousy mobile phone. It lacks the ability to send pictures via mms, no video capture and only a 2 megapixel camera. Most new mobiles have 3.2 megapixel or better. Also, to use the actual phone in a hurry, you need to fumble around to start the phone application, on real phones you just hit the buttons and it will start dialling.

I recently changed phones to a Nokia N95 as it was free on the plan that I wanted and it has all the features above and more. You need to see about synching with a Mac though (I have no idea about Macs).

I think the price is too high for such a device, better of getting an iPod touch (if you want the applications etc) and a 3g phone, such as the N95.

This video is a quick wrap up of what is lacking in the iPhone 3g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtZlHQ0lRA4

4:11 pm  
Blogger Melba said...

i didn't mean to sound critical. i'm just a technology-hater from way back.

anyway, we all have our things. and i completely understand a passion for the mac.

5:14 pm  
Anonymous pauline said...

I've had my iPhone since November last year (1stGen) and LOVELOVELOVE it!
Sure, there's no MMS (I have never missed it) but I find the camera fine, and have taken some memorable pics with it.

Wait to see if your carrier will offer it, but get it when you can!

9:05 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

The carrier came good :)))

3:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts