Tuesday, July 15, 2008

fashion meme

From Melba - a meme I feel reluctant to undertake, the reasons will soon become obvious. Quite frankly I’d have more to say in a “Fashion Disasters” meme than one focused on favourites. But here we go.

WHEN I was 1, my parents dressed me in...
Hand me downs I guess. I was the third child.

WHEN I was 5, I dressed myself in...
My aunt made me a particularly fetching psychedelic jump suit (a legless number) with wrap-around matching mini skirt.

WHEN I was 7, my favourite outfit was...
My lace up boots – they were cool but my friend Johanna had this amazing vinyl zip up dress that I oh-so-wanted.

MY favourite school photo outfit was...
Well it certainly wasn’t the ugly mustard coloured skivvy I wore on the first day my new school opened. That picture of the whole school is probably a museum piece now. Thankfully it was in black and white.


Exhibit A: You see what I mean?

IN high school the fashion trend I started was...
Gosh was it the shiny yellow flares – or was I just following the crowd?

ON my first date the outfit I wore was...
Now which first date was that? There have been so many of them. In my teens I loved flouncy silken tops and skinny jeans. I’m pretty sure that was what I was wearing to begin with on the night I “lost” my virginity (really that is such a stupid word, I always thought of it as shared”). It wasn’t a first date though.

FOR my high school formal I wore...
I didn’t have a school formal or not one in the same terms that it is meant in this part of the world. Any school dances I went to I had a habit of dressing in jeans. When I was really dressing up I tended to favour trashy lingerie and fishnet stockings. But that was for nights beyond the school gates.

Can I just redeem myself for a moment and say that at my last graduation I wore a tasteful red, French, vintage, above the knee frock. Stay ups but not fishnets and some killer heels.

AT my 21st I wore...
I have a sneaking suspicion I wore trousers, possibly the azure flowing ones that I loved so much at the time. It was a pretty casual affair. Pixie, can you remember? There was good champagne though.

THE oldest item of clothing I still wear is...
The oldest I own is my mum’s gold lurex top from the ‘60s. It’s got a hole in it now so it doesn’t really get much of a wearing anymore.

THE item of clothing I wish I still had was...
Almost any from 20 years ago if I could still fit it!

MY current favourite item of clothing is...
My dressing gown. White, man-size, toweling. I do resent having to get dressed some days.


Ok it’s a meme folks, so that means please take it and play with it. I’m not tagging anyone but I want everyone of you whose read this to give it a go (and that includes you Ms O’Dynne and Ms Pixie!).

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger docwitch said...

Fun. I did it too...

7:52 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Ok. You're on.

That vinyl zip-up number your young friend had sounds rather fabulous...

And that photo is GORGEOUS.

8:13 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Fun yes, but kind of scary. I really would benefit from Trinny and Susannah peeking into my wardrobe. In the meantime I have to hope 'covered in cat hair' become the next big thing in fashion.

8:23 am  
Blogger The Editter said...

For a moment there I thought you going to "include" me... this might get me back blogging ;)

10:11 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Of course you're included Ed (and the flying sister too :)

11:16 am  
Blogger Melba said...

thanks for playing, aof.

1:40 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Melba - check out docwitch's - she has some very gorgeous photos in hers.

1:55 pm  
Blogger Dysthymiac said...

oh! I just came here from reading the same meme at dark Side Of The Broom and she ran a photo just like yours.

my pretty gravatar thingy is a Dior enamel ring - $50,000 apparently. we dream.

5:48 pm  
Blogger Melba said...

AOF, have checked out docwitch. loved the photos.

6:51 pm  
Blogger lucy tartan said...

I love the photo too.

9:24 pm  
Blogger Ann O'Dyne aka Dysthymiac said...

WHEN I was 1, my parents dressed me in ...
All the lovely things my grandmother sewed and knitted for me, her first grandchild.

WHEN I was 5, I dressed myself in...
Pinafores and pullovers. It was 1953.

WHEN I was 7, my favourite outfit was...
My Jhodpurs.

MY favourite school photo outfit was...
None of them. All uniforms - what’s to like?

IN high school the fashion trend I started was...
Non-regulation waistcoats under school blazer.

FOR my high school formal I wore...
Country high schools in the early 1960’s had ‘dances’ and the smartarse chicks wore their deb dresses, the rest of us sneered from inside our A-line skirts with ‘poor-boy’ tops.

ON my first date the outfit I wore was...
A Mod dress with lots of covered buttons up long cuffs.

AT my 21st I wore ...
Hippie long dress and chamois top with long fringes.

THE oldest item of clothing I still wear is...
Drizabone jacket.

THE item of clothing I wish I still had and could still wear is...
Yellow plastic punk dress from about 1979.

MY current favourite item of clothing is...
Navy-blue turtle-necked pure-wool pullover - it’s cold here.

10:32 pm  
Blogger Ann O'Dyne aka Dysthymiac said...

PS:

re
"ON my first date the outfit I wore was...
A Mod dress with lots of covered buttons up long cuffs."

and Dear Reader, he married me.

10:34 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

ann I can still see you in the hippy number with the chamois top!

8:18 am  
Blogger Pavlov's Cat said...

Oh, lovely! I'm going to save up doing this meme as a reward for finishing the marking and doing all the errands.

12:04 pm  
Anonymous Janine said...

Ooooh, shiny yellow flares?! You trendsetter, you. What a fun meme.

Gorgeous photo! One of my b/w school pics is almost identical to yours - a similar haircut AND the same map of the world behind me. The map background must have been all the rage way back then.

4:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts