Sunday, June 01, 2008

the week that was

This week many nice things happened:

I had a delightful lunch at Misuzu’s with a food blogger. We ate a platter of exquisite food and chatted for hours. We swapped stories of stupid things we have done when young and under the influence of certain substances, laughed at our own naivety and talked more about art the food.

I was taken out for dinner to the 100 Mile Café, where the food was ok but the company better. The place should work but something just doesn’t quite make it. Maybe they need some feng shui or something or perhaps it would help if the staff greeted you more warmly on arrival and didn’t get all stiff and play silly games about not having a booking? The place is never full.

Bought some seriously expensive and totally gorgeous cherry red shoes. Fluevogs – I love you!




After a couple of months hiatus the dreaded urticaria made a return. Lets hope I managed to nip it in the bud. Being spotty and itchy is not a good look, even if the colour does match my new shoes. While not a nice thing, it was certainly memorable. It got me out of making dinner, instead being served some very fine vegetarian fried rice and green prawn curry from the trusty local Asian restaurant, followed by some medicinal 85% chocolate whilst bombed out on antihistamines.

A very nice chat with a potential new colleague, finding out we like the same haunts. Although we may never end up working together I get the feeling there will be a few glasses of wine shared in the future.

Celebrated National Porridge Day with a warm bowl of grains in bed.

Had an equally enjoyable brunch with yet another food blogger (and her partner, a fellow porridge lover). We’d only known each other 5 minutes before we discovered an incredible coincidence that she’d moved into my last shared house not long after I’d moved out. We talked wistfully about the beautiful Jacaranda tree out the front, the toes biting possums terrorising the backyard and the housemate in common that we unanimously called “Creepy Steve”. Oh we ate a dam fine breakfast at Black Ruby too.

I made my first Christmas/solstice cake in over a decade. The planning and anticipation will be better than the actual cake because, rather perversely I’m not a huge fan of chrissy cake, I just like the idea of making one!

…it all makes a nice change from playing far too many games of scramble!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger lucy tartan said...

what a nice week (urticariua excluded). I'd like to try the 100 mile cafe. If the ambience is lacking it's probably struggling from being stuck in a shopping centre.

Love those shoes....

5:32 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I knew you'd love the shoes Lucy :) At least you have all those lovely Campers. The food at 100 mile is in no way bad and fortunately it is pared back a little compared to the previous incarnation. This time I had flathead in a very typical jap style - crumbed and fried with a great spicy mash and a real peppy tartare sauce. It tasted good but nothing to make me want to rush back. Perhaps it is the interior - which makes you feel like you are sitting in Ikea (sans the meatballs)?

5:41 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Urticaria. Ah, it has a name. Hope it's disappearing, and fast.

Love the shoes. Completely. I don't think there's enough red shoes in the world...

Naivety and art - it was a delight, that lunch. And I had no idea there was a National Porridge Day. And still, that was what I ate for breakfast...it must have infiltrated my thinking!

8:51 am  
Anonymous Janine said...

Fabulous shoes!

I hope the hives disappear soon, and that you're managing to keep the itchiness at bay.

5:55 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Antihistamines - amazing drugs. Take one and within half an hour no spots and a dopey kind of bliss.

I've taken three this year.

Hopefully that was the last one! (said very optimistically but not entirely meaning it)

6:02 pm  
Blogger docwitch said...

gorgeous shoes...very, very yummy.

Hope your itchies have subsided.

Porridge...mmm - your quinoa concoction has become the Brekkie of Choice over this way.

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts