Sunday, April 13, 2008

radical thinking

When I woke up this morning, before my eyes could barely open, the Not Boyfriend said "I think we should follow that proposal you made". A little confused, a myriad of possibilities crossed my mind before asking which brilliant idea of mine was he referring to. In the height of summer I suggest we have a break from the TV.

Our living area is tiny and his big old monster of a box tends to dominate the space. We have a smaller TV in the spare room, it isn't connected to the outdoor aerial so it's a struggle to mindlessly watch it but it is connected to a DVD player. Quite surprised he wanted to give it a go, today has been spent seizing the moment - moving the beast to the shed, swapping over the DVD players, cleaning up a discarded wing chair we picked up from the roadside a while back (very comfortable but hideous, worn orange fabric in need of recovering), re-homing the lovely hand made TV stand an ex made by hand for me - now a beautiful bedside table...

Just one small thought creates a ripple of action.

I'm sure my digestion won't miss watching the news while we eat. Many of my favourite ABC programs I already vodcast and so what if we have to wait til Doc Martin and East of Everything come out on DVD to see the rest of the series.

I look forward to streaming KCRW and other foreign radio stations more often, curling up in the 'new' armchair with a good book, doing even more sudoku, communicating without distraction, memorizing the weekly schedules of Radio National and RRR - and all the other delights of a life without the goggle box for a while.

...of course there is always Youtube!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger LisaPal said...

I think life is definitely better without TV. But don't take my laptop and internet access away!

3:59 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I've lived for half my adult life in houses without a TV, it's a bit like ripping off a bandage - an initial sting, then you forget all about it.

But leave the internet behind for a while - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4:08 pm  
Blogger Ann O'Dyne said...

Because I am a permanent housesitter, I have to manage without internet regularly and it HURTS.
There is a big analysis of Doc Martin over at Pavlov's Cat blog at the moment. mainly about lips.

how nice for you to be pillowed-up in bed with a friend and a DVD player - Enjoy!

7:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts