Thursday, April 17, 2008

nostaligia for the young Mr Bragg

I still have a soft spot for Billy Bragg. Sure he’s a little older and greyer (aren’t we all?) Still, he maintains the rage and updates his lyrics. Particularly love this version of Great Leap Forward on the Henry Rollins show made relevant for the US audience (talk about maintaining the rage – ever seen Rollins live? He doesn’t draw breath, ADD or speed, who knows but he’s got a fine head on his well muscled shoulders).



Though it’s the younger Bragg who’ll make my heart skip a beat. The one who I swear said, at a concert in Wellington in early 1987 “I don’t smoke, I don’t drink – but I love fucking” – it made me all weak at the knees, it did.

So a whimsical Billy Bragg clip to brighten up a dull day.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Sagittarian said...

Oh I'm a big fan of Billy Bragg! Thanks for the clip.

9:24 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

A pleasure to oblige Ms Sag. Wasn't he just sex on toast?!

10:49 am  
Blogger Fleagirl said...

I'd missed this one--Billy is still terrific. I can't stand to watch old Henry though. He's too fakely animated. I remember him straining and sweating and grinning and just pure testosterone on stage; with those memories I cringe at the producer-trained body movements. I stopped watching his show altogether after I saw the one where he mugged his way through the interview with that prig Gene Simmons.

2:42 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Howdy Fleagirl - fortunately never seen the Henry Rollins TV show before - only his spoken word, live act. He stood on an empty stage and didn't draw breath for 2 hours. I mentor for ranters everywhere :)

1:07 pm  
Blogger Lost in a reverie... said...

Great clips, thanks!

Loooove the Bragg.

Not a big fan of Henry Rollins spoken word stuff, though do like some Black Flag. Can't remember when or where (Sydney, sometime?...) but Mr Rollins had a spoken word piece where each verse ended with "I remain expressionless" - it was so unintentionally funny that the phrase is used in our house whenever we have a minor domestic accident (kitchen knife cut, minor burns etc) and is now a running joke of sorts.

3:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts