Friday, March 28, 2008

letters from home

In a past life, when I was a more intense and energetic young thing, I did what many Antipodeans did - I worked for the minimum time possible after finishing university to earn enough money to buy a one way ticket to London. On my recent trip home I found a bundle of letters sent across the world to me in the '80's. If nothing else, they give me some perspective on my life now. Here's an excerpt from one that my best friend that I had studied drama with sent and was pretty typical of the life we'd led at the time - no wonder none of us owned televisions.

“Brian* is caught up in Drama fever – something I have completely recovered from and he actually helps matters by talking about it all bla bla ..incestuous sex and parties. Greg’s depressed and seedy. Euan talks shit and fucks everyone. Mike and Jerry are both in love with Elise. Elise screws both of them and abuses Mike at party’s in dark corners and Mike gets depressed. Cate is in love with John and screams at him at party’s, “ How do you know you’re gay? If you are why don’t you fall in love with Brian?” The truth is Brian is in love with John but John’s not in love with Brian and now Cate’s decided she’s a lesbian anyway, so she slept with Sue and John slept with Gary (after Brian who’d slept with John told John he’d fancied Gary) – so they got heavy in front of Brian who came home and cried on my shoulder for hours. A couple of weekends ago we had Sue and Fiona here screaming about the house until 5am before they finally all crashed downstairs. Full stop.”


* Names have been changed to protect identities. After all "Mike" became a famous soapy star, Brian a playwright and Sue a very successful author and actor. I suspect Greg is still depressed, Euan wishes he still could fuck everyone and I haven't the slightest idea who half the others are.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Pixie said...

hahaha. I almost know who they all are. So funny. Oh those days of angst (and you think I'm bad now!), bad hair and even worse clothes. or was that just me.

8:10 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Does the angst go as we get older, or is it just replaced with another cast of characters? Bad hair, bad wine, bad bedmate choices...we had the lot!

8:12 am  
Blogger dysthymiac said...

Great post Rants, old letters improve like good wine and some of those 'successful authors' get that way by simply re-hashing all that old, real-life.

8:23 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Dys - she's been long listed twice for the Orange prize. I think she may be using her own material these days :)

8:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts