Sunday, February 17, 2008

I am from

A little exercise called I am from, via Pixie and Kirsty.

I am from black and white TV with only one channel, from Tip Top Bread and the Edmonds Sure To Rise Cookbook.
I am from the wheetbix box house, in a tree-lined valley, where the tuis sing.
I am from the gorse, form the ferns.
I am from picnics by the river, from worshippers of the Sunday roast, from Shirley and Agnes and Mabel.
I am from the tight-lipped and the loose mouthed.
From older siblings who told me to scream in the tunnels but laughed when I did and the tooth fairy, who slyly swapped a silver coin for a baby's tooth.
I am from those who mouthed the words of hymns and hated wearing hats.
I’m from white bread flung throughout the British Empire, afghan biscuits, a beer before lunch on the weekend.
From the dark skinned Grandfather who I never met, an alcoholic baker, from the Grandmother traumatised by “The Troubles”, from the Mother with skin scarred by burns, serving time in a hospital which rewarded her with diphtheria and isolation.
I am from the soldier’s diary with terse reference to gas, rats and shrapnel, the photo albums packed with monochrome snaps of tropical lands, monuments and aeroplanes, the memory of 3 kids to a bed, the stories told and those untold.

I am the unplanned one, the youngest of am ever-shrinking family, the end of the line, the last branch of the tree.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that!!! and may have to steal/share it.
stella x

11:30 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Go for it Stella, click the links - it has a great lineage of being passed on :)

7:53 am  
OpenID twolimeleaves said...

FANTASTIC!! Love the story of the torment of the older siblings :
and "mouthed the words of hymns and hated wearing hats".
Your poor Mama...

10:03 pm  
Blogger Lost in a reverie... said...

This is lovely! I particularly like the line "I am from...the Edmonds Sure To Rise Cookbook". Me too!! (NZ mum and all that)

Janine

1:05 pm  
Blogger Bwca said...

that was wonderful.
thank you.

8:27 pm  
Blogger Molly said...

Delighted you found and did this! Intriguing.Will be back to explore more.... Adding you to my list Where I'm From list--hope that's Okay.

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts