Sunday, November 25, 2007

ding dong the witch is dead

While I never thought Labour romping in was a forgone conclusion, the biggest thrill of the night was Maxine McKew holding what was formerly the Prime Minister’s safe Liberal seat of Bennelong,on a knife edge. Down to postal votes now, her beaming face made my heart sing.

Or perhaps Kerry O’Brien’s response, excitedly saying “It looks like a swing towards the ABC” – priceless! (On that note, lets hope Janet Albrechtsen’s days on the board are numbered).

But it’s the senate that is making me hold my breath. With the entrenched 6 year terms and only a half senate vote, that means the fundamentalists still have their man in the Upper House for another 3 years. The way things are going, this will give him and Nick Xenophon more power than they deserve. Yet another Labour selfish preference legacy, it could have been a Greens senator instead.

While the nation may have given the rodent the boot (we can only hope) and kicked Mal Brough’s not so sorry arse on indigenous issues, a few blokes have held onto seats they don’t rightly deserve. Hocking, Turnbull and Garrett come to mind.

But what have we got with Rudd? A grinning assassin if ever I saw one. I’d be more comfortable with Julia at the helm with Maxine as her deputy - now that is something to look forward to.

The streets are very quiet this morning. I suspect most of us have a hangover.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t fuck it up.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann O'Dyne said...

Julia and Maxine running the place - wouldn't it be just great!

Malcolm Turnbull was very very comfortably returned. I'll go over to Farcebook now and see what friends are writing on The Wall of his wife Lucy ...

3:12 pm  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

I have no clue who all these people are, but when I saw the headlines in my Toronto paper, I thought of you dancing in the streets. ;)

3:39 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Politics of far flung places mean little, I know. But an 11.5 year reign of a conservative regime coming to an end - yup we can all relate to that!

9:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts