Thursday, July 12, 2007

it aint easy being green II

Ok it started innocently enough musing on the locality of the food I ate. I asked all my favourite stallholders at the market, “Where are the potatoes from”, “What fish is from Victoria” and “Do you know where the tofu maker gets their soybeans?” It was interesting. Obviously the cute little organic zucchini at $12.50/kg, came from far away (Queensland). The closest coffee grower was in the Atherton Table lands (half a continent away) and despite being the most expensive (and not organic) the growers are subsidised by the government. I didn’t ask about the rhubarb that currently stews in the pot but figured it is a winter ‘fruit’ so it hasn’t come too far.

But the journey between keyboard and market was a minefield. Why stop at food? My lovely herbal hair products come from interstate, the NSW made conditioner claimed its avocadoes are Australian grown but what about everything else in it? The luxurious cotton towels and sheets also claim to be manufactured in the country, though not locally, but where did the cotton come from and if the fibre originated here – what about the ridiculous amount of water it takes to grow it?

See what I mean.

Is it ok to be small scale green? Mostly organic, Australian sourced, local where possible – a few luxuries (chocolate? No cacao beans in this part of the world) and keep nagging the not boyfriend to put on a jumper before cranking up the heating?

…or am I just deluding myself?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous kathryn said...

This is a tough one I'm battling with at the moment. Checking every food source and finding local alternatives feels like a full-time job in itself. It has to be done in stages.

At the moment I'm concentrating on buying Australian in all grocery items and only in-season fruit and veg. While I realise Queensland and WA are still a long way away (from Sydney), it's better than buying from overseas. I've also started asking my local fruit and veg shops to label where food comes from.

I honestly think it's something we're all going to have to get better at. You do the obvious and easy things first and then chip away at the harder stuff.

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts