Thursday, May 17, 2007

trivia - my first concert

You know the part on Rockwiz where they ask "what was the first concert you went to?"...this is why I'd never try out to go on the show.

I hate to admit my first concert was Rod Stewart – who knows what album but I think that was the time of “We are Sailing” and “Tonight’s the Night” (I don’t even know if those are the actual titles of the songs but you get the picture). It was on a Sunday night but a group of us made a picnic and went in a gang, camping out on the grounds when the gates opened probably around 3 in the afternoon. My friend had made roast beef sandwiches – even my current day non-meat consuming self remembers them as being delicious. We probably drank Tang. Being my first concert I had a lot to learn. The most important being “The Height Issue”. Barely topping 5 ft and at an age where one stood in what would one day be called the mosh pit, actually seeing the action, rather than just sniffing dripping armpits would become a life long quest. Fortunately I lucked it as I happened to be kissing a very tall guy at the time who was fortunately also at the concert. I watched most of the show perched on his shoulders. As I likely weighed a mere 45 kg at the time and he was an athlete, he didn’t seem to mind. I wouldn’t try it these days. It was one of those moments where the best part of childhood met new found adolescence, sitting on a man/boy’s shoulders and staying up late.

I got into a shit load of trouble getting home from the concert late on a school night. My mother had calculated to the minute what time I should get home and was very annoyed when I sauntered in an hour or 2 later than that. She hadn’t factored in me pashing the tall boy in the back of the car down the road till I my jaw ached.

It would be a while til I was allowed to go out to a concert on a school night again.

What was your first concert?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Rickie Lee Jones, Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen sometime around 1980. She was so drunk/high she could barely stand upright. Although I'm fuzzy on the details, I do remember having a good time, but am pretty sure it was because I was bound and determined to love live music.

1:37 pm  
Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

UB40, oh dear, oh dear. Also with my first boyfriend, bless him.

5:14 pm  
Blogger Bwca said...

I love Rod The Mod and I don't care who laughs.
After 2 drinks I put on 'This Ol Heart Of Mine' and have 3 more drinks.

*goes off singing* ... this ol heart of mine's been broke a thousan times, each time you went away .. but now you're here to stay.'

6:32 pm  
Blogger Justine said...

Pearl Jam. That concert at the music bowl where people pushed the fence down :)
I was 15 or 16. Very special.

...I saw Spiderbait that year at a local all ages show, too. Now I'm not sure which actually happened first... Old age is getting to me :)

8:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts