Saturday, April 07, 2007

I just don't get it

Victoria is lining up to be the home of big, brand spanking new desalination plant. Sure what to do with the salty, environment deadening excess is a minor hiccough. But the real issue that I can't see outlined in the summary of the feasiblity study is the issue of power. You see, from what little I know, these plants take a massive amount of electiricty for them to do their thing. Victoria being the home of brown coal, would mean a humungous* amount of carbon being produced in return for a little bit of much needed water water.

I find this piecemeal way of dealing with the state of our sad planet a little like contemporary medicine. We've got a cure for your problem, it's just a pity the side effects will eventually kill you.


* a scientific term meaning "shoot me now, why don't you"

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger muse said...

"I find this piecemeal way of dealing with the state of our sad planet a little like contemporary medicine"

Hear hear! I wonder why no one seems able to look at the big picture, you know, cause and effect? I.e. if you do this, it will cause this _and_ that?

Sane people of the world should get their very own island (or continent, if there were enough... which I doubt!) to live on and rule in a sane way or something... The planet as a whole would still be in trouble, but at least there would be one place where things would be somewhat better...

3:55 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

As long as its not a pretense for a reality television show - I'm in!

2:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts