Thursday, April 26, 2007

the discussion board is now open...

Hands are rather bound at the moment. Sadly, I don’t mean that in a playful kind of way either (much to the Not Boyfriend’s chagrin – having been laid low with a bug for most of the week). But blogging subject wise, I am restricted and muzzled, between the proverbial rock and a hard place with life right now. A small but important aspect amplified by differing culture and family.

Without going into details – I’d like to open up some discussion here. For those currently or previously in a relationship which involves ‘in laws’ living out of town – do you have strategies, rules, agreements or stories about when they visit. Do they flow easily, are there any internal adjustments you or your partner has to make at such times, how do you keep everyone’s needs met under the roof of a very small house?

Seriously people – tell me your stories.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Flibbertygibbet said...

With my ex, my parents would visit often (from abroad) and it was fine because they adored him - but interestingly, after we split, my mum told me that she'd been really shocked by the way he spoke to me sometimes. So maybe there was more tension there than I realised.
His mother never visited, she was a cow. I always found it hard to go to her place - so I stopped going. You have a partner and it's nice to put up with their family as much as you can, but at the end of the day, you have to preserve some sanity.

I realise lots of people will say 'oh no, you have to make an effort' - but if it's not well received, after three or four years you realise it's not youh...

7:47 pm  
Blogger LisaPal said...

I'm happy to say that I don't have any experience in this area. Phew!

12:50 am  
Blogger JahTeh said...

Being a natural born peacemaker, I learned to keep my mouth shut...until they left and then it was out to the backyard and roar.

5:51 pm  
Blogger Boysenberry said...

My in-laws live in the same city, albeit a few suburbs away. My folks are 1200 kms away in Adelaide, and have visited once since I first moved to Canberra in 1990. Seems to work out pretty good, really :)

6:54 am  
Blogger Leo said...

With us, it's my mother that drives everyone crazy. She is usually better when she stays in someone eles home, on her best behaviour you might say, but it is still a drain. We try to fill our days so she won't have any downtime to fill with her endless malicious gossip and generally keep really busy to avoid those one-on-one conversations with her.

8:55 am  
Blogger Justine said...

i hate to evoke a stereotype, but my mother in law? ... i usually try to avoid her :(

sometimes she is nice. but then she goes in to one of her 'moods'.

7:50 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pondering on your stories for now.

2:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts