Saturday, February 10, 2007

Artist date part 2

After an early hour spent at the farmers market in Collingwood tasting morsels, wandering through the gardens and taking photos it was home to drop off purchases and refuel.

Part 2 began in the middle of the day, ambling through the Rose Street craft market, walking through the back streets of Fitzroy, browsing at Zetta Florence and then hitting Gertrude Street. I have mused about the wonders of these glorious few inner city blocks before but since my last visit barely a week has gone by when some cool shop in the street hasn’t appeared in a design magazine. There is still a bit of grunge (it is the home to the housing commissions sprawling towers) but the expensive price tags have certainly moved in. None the less my stalwarts – Deans Art and Artisan Books remain unchanged. I got some lovely linen A4 paper for a song, freshly sliced by a helpful assistant. In Artisan I stumbled across yet another book that could almost make me take up the knitting.



Heading home again, in the fine rain. A wedding group was sheltering under umbrellas outside the museum, the lemon scented gum emitted it’s uplifting fragrance and from inside the Carlton Gardens came the beautiful tones of a lovingly played brass instrument. Nestled in the crook of a tree a good few metres above the ground a guy was playing the saxophone.

It is on days like these that I love Melbourne.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Flibbertygibbet said...

If I could wave a magic wand and live anywhere in the whole wide world, I do think it would be Melbourne. Wonderful place. Please carry on living vicariously for the rest of us.

10:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts