Thursday, October 05, 2006

the journey so far

The not-boyfriend noted with dismay that my rate of posting has slowed down at Other Rants Central. Despite my protestations about all the blogging I was doing elsewhere, he replied “but I’m not interested in food, I want politics”.

Ah that impasse we all come to.

What to do when you get slow traffic on one site but maybe a couple of hundred hits a day elsewhere? You start writing to where the audience is. I’m getting fan mail for the Food Nazi. More comments. Ego stroking.

It’s hard to write in a vacuum, with little feedback.

Essentially I do care more about politics than filling my tummy. But there is no bounce in the sounding board at the moment. I hate to admit it, but I’m reading the papers less. I feel such horror for what is going on in the world that I have begun to close my eyes to it a little more and take refuge in the comforting senses. I’m ranting less and reading more memoirs of food writers.

Sad isn’t it.

Is this the ‘compassion fatigue’ we all hear of? I still give to my selected charities each year, but don’t open the newsletters from them anymore. I can’t think of the last rally I have been on (but if I am in Melbourne on November 18th I will be at the Carnival Against Capitalism, and I hope you will be too). I still listen to the mind achingly intelligent guests on Late Night Live, though tend to snooze off before the program finishes.

But maybe I am quieter because although I’ve had Julia Cameron’s “The Artists Way” and “The Right to Write” beside my bed for years, I’ve actually been reading them. I’ve found the ritual of the ‘morning pages’ as addictive as coffee, in fact the two go together very well. For the past few months I have been on a delicious journey. I have been reconnecting with myself and that extra energy that irritation, anger and political frustration usually consume has been reserved for the purpose of internal exploration. So at times I feel as though I’m on some foreign continent with no compass, let alone an internet connection.

Except when I get hungry and step back into the kitchen!

Health, Philosophy, Politics and Other Rants is a place for me to vent my passions. At the moments, the ‘health’ – a positive replenishing of my mental, physical and spiritual well and “philosophy’- making sense of how I see the world, are a little stronger than the ‘political’. I’m pouring out a lot of words, just not as publicly as before.

If you wish, keep checking in (thank goodness for bloglines) and see where the journey takes me. After all, it’s only for so long that the Idiot Shrub and his Sheriff can continue to act like asses without me reacting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous not boyfriend said...

I really cant comment on your efforts, given my lack lustre blogging performance of late. I have to admit I'm in a very similar place; needing to nurture and restore for a time.

4:50 pm  
Blogger Husky Nutmeg said...

You've put into words something of where I've been lately. For me, it seems the sunshine has helped to get me above water.

Thanks AOF.

6:15 pm  
Blogger MelbourneGirl said...

yep, me too what husky nutmeg said. i am fatigued about all the shit going on in the world, and how no one is doing anything effective about it.

my fingers are crossed for someone like maybe al gore to swoop down from his lecturer podium, in red cape, and win the presidency in america and do something. and then similar people, though god knows WHO, to do the same in uk and here, and then fix the mess up.

won't happen though, which is very depressing.

each time the coalition gets back into power i say i am moving to new zealand. one day, i may actually do it.

1:19 pm  
Anonymous meredic said...

I thought it was just me reacting to autumn and feeling like this. But it seems the southern hemisphere is similalry afflicted. Keep writing. It counts.

7:28 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Thanks for the support :)

I forgot to mention that I like the new foreign land, it's exciting and stimulating. Though there are some murkier things going on in my life that I have no control over that do tinge things with greyness at times, the journey I am on is a positive though rather diverting one.

I hope yours are too!

9:16 am  
Anonymous splodgenoodles said...

I find myself increasingly unable to have opinions, even on those topics that once had me frothing at the mouth. Is it a sense of compassion fatigue or a sense that we have been defeated?

1:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts