Wednesday, October 18, 2006

ephemera - Sunday 29 July, 1917, England





As a once budding historian, I have a habit of coming back from my trips home with the odd bit of family history in my suitcase, especially photos. I came across this postcard recently, ferreted away in my filing cabinet - a card from my grandfather to his father, while convalescing in England during WWI.

As a child I always thought this grandparent was killed in the war, as I must have been taken to his grave as a tiny tot and it had military affiliations. It wasn’t til an adult, that I realised he was just wounded, came home to marry and have a family, run a business and then get knocked down by a bus on his way back from a day at the races.

But back to the war. It’s amazing how little is said on the card. Not a whisper of how he is, what his wounds are (I guess by this point he was having one of those long lost convalescences which have gone by the way in this busy age) or any such thing pertaining to the time. No, he writes to say he’s amazed that his own father has made it to the grand age of 50 and that if he took a few salt pills and did some exercise (walk with William’s sister Ruth), maybe he’d have a few good years left in him yet.

Almost 90 years later our world is still at war.

2 Comments:

Blogger lucy tartan said...

lovely post, thankyou.

11:42 am  
Anonymous Marty Weil said...

I'm glad you featured this ephemera. Old paper is often under-appreciated. I feature similar ephemera on my blog at www.ephemera.typepad.com

I enjoy your blog and thought this was a very cool post. Thanks for featuring it.

7:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts