Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Me and Joni

As I musically came of age in the time of punk, mercifully I have never been a hippy, have found the Beatles mediocre and the Stones passably better. As for the Beach Boys, what was it with all that lollipop, good vibrations rubbish? I just didn’t get it.

Thankfully as much as flowing cheesecloth kaftans seem a very practical summer apparel option, I am not going to have a late in life hippy conversion. But I have over the last few years cherry picked a few songs from a bygone era and saved them from the bathwater. So this is my humblest apology Tim Thorpe for abusing you every time you played Neil Young and all those other old men (but I’m still not forgiving you for the 20 minute tracks!).

These are:
Neil Young singing Lennon’s Imagine at the post 9-11 telethon. I got it.

Brian Wilson’s “God only knows”

Shruggie Otis “Strawberry letter 23” (if you have never had acid, this song is the next best thing)

Nick Drake – almost anything he wrote. Certainly the antithesis of the trippy Shuggie, a melancholy genius.

Joni Mitchell – When I was living in London in the 80’s I discovered a cassette with “Blue Motel” on it just after a relationship ended. I revelled in the blue motel with its blue bedspread for a few days then felt so much better. I finally got a copy recently and like reading Monkey Grip when I am at the contemplative end of coupling, this song suits the mood and brings comfort. Some days the words never seemed more relevant than now:

“I've got a blue motel room
With a blue bedspread
I've got the blues inside and outside my head
Will you still love me
When I call you up when I'm down..”

But that’s it! Absolutely no Yellow Submarine, Ok maybe a little Sympathy for the devil, but that it…definitely it…no more prepunk music ok.


Photo by Jon Ragel

10 Comments:

Blogger Chai said...

Because of your post, I looked it up. The clip is avail here (500kb)
http://www.worldtradetribute.com/yellow7/imagine/imagine.swf

I found this rather good interview with Mr Young. Made my eyes moist.
http://www.thrasherswheat.org/jammin/lennon.htm

And I dug out my copy of Joni's Blue to put onto my iPod. You are a bad influence. Good thing u're not into alcamahol etc... Are you?

8:32 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Yup your second link is the one i gave, but the first is lennon's version, which doesn't do it to me. Oh and its joni's blue motel, not the other song blue...and yes i do drink. Um, in moderation :) Have a good night!

8:41 pm  
Blogger Chai said...

So it was (regd the link). I think I started there and came one full circle and forgot I got it from you initially. Embarrassing. Apologies.

Anyway, harder than I expected but ....is it this version? Has strings though.

And yes, I did know u were referring to a diff Joni song.

9:19 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

If someone can teach me how to upload audio onto blogs will post it, but alas that link wasn't the one either*...it was less fiddley and pithier... I am still not a Neil Young, nor a Lennon fan, but this was the only performance from the 9-11 tribute that I remember...and when he sung it, I really could begin to Imagine the dream of no war (no bush! no greedy oil grabbing!) and that surely is a vision worth holding onto.

*of course if someone of their own volition used some peer-peer software to look for it, they would likely find it.

Another large vodka, lime and soda anyone?

9:56 pm  
Blogger Chai said...

Ahhhh... gotcha... but for completeness.... try http://rapidshare.de Just follow instructions regd uploading files.

12:09 am  
Blogger Link said...

Great photo. Lovely lass, there was a good doco on her on SBS a few years ago. I discovered Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' when I was thirteen and played it to death, my Dad called her Moni Mitchell. Then Court and Spark, For the Roses, Heijira but I did lose interest when she went through her jazz phase with Charlie Mingus.

Blue Motel Room is a lovely lilting song. That, Cactus Tree and Song to a Seagull I often sing as I walk on the beach. I don't listen to he much now however its all nostalgia these days.

9:53 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Yes, Joni is for when I feel blue. Shuggie is for when I feel like laughing. Imagine is for when I don't want to feel cynical...and Nick, hm...I think that's for when I want to feel sane/happy by comparison.

But then again I have another 3,400-odd songs on the pod - and they cover a whole spectrum of other emotions.

9:58 am  
Blogger Justine said...

she looks like my mother in law.

whenever I hear JM, I think of the Woodstock show where she got upset with the audience. it embarrassed me - it was the kinda reaction I could've had!

12:13 pm  
Blogger Dollop said...

Much agreement re Sympathy for the devil and pre-punk. So much so that I heartily recommend Tim Buckley, as in Jeff's dad.

Think Jeff Buckley with testosterone malted scotch.

12:19 am  
Blogger Brownie said...

Yo Ho AOF - I do regret missing the grogblog with you and fluffyasacat

houseguests Friday night, then driving all over the country looking at overpriced real estate has wrung me out.

what is it with real estate agents?
am too weary to think about music, so will just say I was a totally musically cool Mod in 1965 (Otis Redding, Sam n Dave, Solomon Burke) Hippie in 1968 (Blind Faith) and eased into 1976 Punkdom via New Wave (Elvis Costello), only to go back to COUNTRY and complete the circle to the Country Blues which was the basis for the RnB Soul which created Mod music. Not interested in anything that has happened since 1982.
I cannot imagine Real estate Agents ever think about music at all.
now I am going to bed with Mr Paradise by Elmore Leonard.
xxxxxxxxx

11:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts