Saturday, December 31, 2005

the inevitable year in review

As I am about to kick the sorry arse of this year out the proverbial door, I feel blogger duty bound to offer some pithy words on the past 52 sorry weeks. But really, all you have to do is go through the archive and the rants will speak for themselves. I will recap a little for the lazy buggers.

National crap: Thanks to the dumb fuck liberal, national, family first and even stupider labour voters (who didn’t check their party’s senate preferences) – little Johnny and his mates have taken over the whole damn lolly shop and run amok. For non-Australian readers – we have been in the sorry state of having both houses of parliament dominated by one conservative party and they have had carte blanche to run roughshod over the lot of us. The usual agenda – make the rich, richer; the poor, poorer. Since the senate fell over to the liberals and the 2 wild card senators (dumb and dumber) it’s been shooting season – workers rights, student unionism, human rights. In the light of this I can only feel hugely pessimistic as to what they will cook up in the new year.

Global crap: The unholy alliance of Bush/Blair and their money grubbing cronies in Iraq. The continued slaughter of the Iraqi people. The atrocities of Guantanamo Bay and extraordinary rendition. Natural Disasters. The abysmal failure of Kyoto.

Glimmers on the horizon: Harold Pinter’s Nobel acceptance speech, Chavez and Venezuela, the familiar faces who continue to turn up at peace and anti-government rallies despite this country’s pervasive apathy.

Personal crap: Usual relationship roller coaster (I liked it better when I was riding in the carriage, not tied to the tracks). In my more philosophical moments I have had some great epiphanies (thanks Dad I really get the family stuff now, can I just not have to repeat the patterns in my love relationships forever more?) I would like to sit with the more enlightened thoughts a bit longer each time before I retreat back into reactivity.

Despite the bleakness and a foul 42c day brewing (with no aircon), I have had a week with many delights – good friends, lots of easy times enjoying the evening breeze and am accepting whatever is offered to me. Tonight will be in a house with a brand new rooftop garden reached by a dangerous ladder leading to the stars. There will be the comfort of good friends and the spice of unfamiliar faces, gently fuelled by vodka and champagne. Am sure that is a good omen for the year ahead.




May the sun shine on you and those you love in 2006.

PS: for those wanting a more uplifting take on 2005 check out The BBC's "100 things we didn't know this time last year".
These include such gems as -
#2. Mohammed is now one of the 20 most popular names for boys born in England and Wales.
#11. One in 10 Europeans is allegedly conceived in an Ikea bed.
And #69 (gotta love that Brit sence of humour). First-born children are less creative but more stable, while last-born are more promiscuous.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pavlov's Cat said...

Oh, top shot of furball. 'For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him.' (C. Smart)

I found that the relationships thang improved no end once I started managing them along the same lines as I manage my friendships: expectations and limits based flexibly on the individual rather than the Dreaded Relationship Template. (Which also liberates one from deadly family patterns.)

11:42 am  
Blogger Middle Child said...

What a beautiful cat... am in Australia too or whats left of the democracy we all took for granted...too much bloody filthy toxic fluoride (from the industrial smoke stacks of chine...they won't put it in their own water...we buy it from them)in the water...buggers up your imagination...we are the most heavily fl. country in the whole world apart from Singapore which is 100%...that doesn't say much...

3:30 pm  
Blogger Brownie said...

ooh cat city. I would like to know that golden feline. is he available for prowling in the night? I pretty much sleep all day.
I don't like fluoride.
My Person is trained to give me bottled spring water in my bowl.

12:51 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

(dictated by PPP to a very hungover, maybe even still intoxicated human) "Thank you for dropping by to admire me. I am known in these parts as Princess Prissy Paws. I was once abandoned before my first birthday and on what was to be my penultimate day on earth I made a 2 legged friend who took me back to her home. Although I have no pedigree I am very beautiful. I like playing with paper bags, tissue paper and boxes. I enjoy licking the juice out of the salmon can and I am quite partial to sashimi. No fluoride is drunk in this house and I eat hormone free chicken wings...now find me a cool piece of floor I can stretch my belly on".

9:31 am  
Blogger Link said...

PPP - what a sweetie, the best cats are the 'found' cats.

11:14 am  
Blogger Justine said...

beautiful pic!

oh Pavlov - you're beautiful too. Calico. Nice.

and kitty brown! Look at you! Sultry. Sleek.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts