Saturday, October 15, 2005

self-indulgent meme

It's amazing how much you can say about yourself and yet reveal so little, but that was how i took the challenge when AleKs tagged me. To prove my pants really aren't on fire I provide 20 facts and a little extra.

Those who know me well will be amazed, and no doubt relieved, that none of the 20 factettes make mention of lesbian sex or threesomes.

1. I had a brief career as a child model (in reality, my neighbour, a prolific writer of school readers based on her dog Bobby, paid me 5 bucks to pose for one of her books).

2. I have a degree in Political Science.

3. In a former incarnation, I was an actress. The height of my ‘career’ is a toss up between having the lead role in a Brechtian style musical sex education play, or being an extra in “Shaker Run” (with teen idol Leif Garrett).

4. I have never seen “Shaker Run”.

5. I have film credits for acting, script writing, script editing, boom operating, and special thanks.

6. I talk to cats.

7. I have been on the dole in three countries (though now I am paying tax in a most karmic way).

8. I have dual citizenship.

9. I am afraid of snakes and often dream of being bitten by them (fuck off Freud).

10. At 10 months old I could whistle.

11. I refuse to eat cooked peas.

12. I see dead people.

13. I have found love on line…a number of times.

14. I am and have always been a feminist. However, looking back, I think I may have lost the plot the time I picketed a stereo store for using Barbie dolls in their window display.

15. I hitched around parts of Europe, Ireland and the UK, but would never have done it in my homeland because I knew the litany of names of every hitchhiker who had gone missing there. (I am not always as logical as I would like to believe I am). I once hitched a tour bus and a bulldozer.

16. My love of radio began at 6 yo when I was interviewed by a local station. I am still involved with radio. I love the anonymity.

17. Currently I have 126 unread emails in my inbox.

18. I have a ridiculously retentive memory, but mainly for personal trivia. I remember far too much.

19. My second published piece of creative writing (in primary school) was later removed from the journal for being libellous.

20. My brother died on the Day of the Dead, 1993. I still miss him.





I challenge Guru Rex, The blogosphere host with the most aka Armaniac and Brownie to do the honours. (Yes I know the reclusive Ms B has been tagged before but as she hasn't responded I thought I would take advantage of her hangover to tag her again :)

14 Comments:

Blogger Brownie said...

hangover? we went from the wesley anne to strathmore via Pentridge. The G-G cannot even find his way home.

4:55 pm  
Blogger Brownie said...

That photo just breaks my heart. You have not changed a bit, and your brother looks like he would have been a wonderful adult.
I have driven allover East Los Angeles all night on the Day Of Los Muertos 1990 with a famous songwriter and it was wonderful. Every country should have it. Picnicking at night on the graves of loved ones and talking to them seems totally sensible to me.

5:16 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Catch you on nov 1st for a picnic, we can drink and laugh and cry and eat little sugared skulls :)
ps: it breaks my heart too, and he was a wonderful adult.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Lord Sedgwick said...

"Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it went right to my head
Where ever I may roam
On land or sea or foam
You will always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home."


With the following rider ('passenger', actually) -

"There’s a voice in the lonesome wind
Keeps a whispering roam
I’m going where a welcome mat is
No matter where that is
Cause any place I hang my hat is home."


Or to be even more precise -

"Cause any corner Brownie hangs a lefty is home."

9:39 pm  
Blogger Justine said...

Sorry about your bro. The two of youlook lovely in that photo.

10:40 pm  
Blogger flying kiwi said...

ooh a Melbourne blogger and I think you're a kiwi too... you commented on my blog so I followed you here, I think I like it, I'll stay.

11:15 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Welcome one and all, pull up a chair a while. The coffee's on, there's a great selection of organic herbal teas too. It's mango hour and the sun is looking benignly down on a gorgeous Melbourne spring day. All is well.

Enjoy :)

11:50 am  
Blogger Crystal said...

Mango! sometimes I like to put mangoes on my books pile so I can smell them while I sleep.
Please visit Go Away Please where the elusive commentor 'rh' who refuses to blog, has responded to being tagged for the '20 things meme'.

10:56 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; you were so cute when you were little, that's not to say you still mightn't be cute. However I still like the other picture better, you could clearly see your pig-tails!

Were your film script writing and script editing credits in Australia?

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of you brother. I had a sister who died when she was 2 weeks old (she would have been 22 this year) I sometimes wonder what she would have been like had she lived and grown up.

10:52 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Welcome back AleKs. Film credits span Australasia, but amount to nothing. Was fun while it happened though.

I have no copies of anything i have worked on! Nor any early writing. Which is strange for someone who hoards family history.

Pigtails or not, at least this photo will stay up there :)

12:44 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

So you don't write for film anymore. What about television or theatre?

3:07 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

No it was a short lived side track really, not a main event.

I am meant to be writing a book.

I am meant to be writing at least 3 books simultaneously. (only 1 of them fiction)

But I am lazy. And my day job intrudes. And I have too many ideas, that i just wait for it to perculate, simmer, gestate. It is a very long literary pregnancy.

But i will. Before i die. And hopefully much much sooner.

But on that note. One idea that has been simmering on the back burner is about grief. Or at least some positive experiences of death. So perhaps I will start a blog/site to start collecting other peoples stories.

what do you guys reckon?

soon. soon. soon.

3:15 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

In my experiences, very few people have "postitive" experiences about death.

As for me, my own death doesn't really worry me; as a meloncholy athiest I sort of look forward to it as I know that I will just cease to be and I will no longer be forced to view the horrors of this world. However I do worry about the impact my death may have on those I love and care about.

However the death of those I love and care about worries me more than anything; it is those people that I love and care about that make life worth living. To lose them would be to lose meaning to life.

5:14 pm  
Blogger Armagnac Esq. said...

I will. I have a high bar to meet.

Thankfully we've met in a bar, it should help.

5:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts