Sunday, October 23, 2005

food blog

Some things that I have been cooking lately.

I enjoy making and eating food. Most of what I cook is based on good quality raw ingredients, usually organically grown. Simple food. Put together without a fuss. Because my focus is on flavours and I am not a food stylist, I have never bothered to photograph my creations – it would be sacrilege to let the food go cold all for the sake of documentation.

My diet has evolved over the years. After 20 years of excessive meat eating I gave it away and any attempts to change that now lead to such digestive discomfort it’s not worth the effort. I find dairy products make me sick, so I pretty much avoid them. I eat seafood and eggs from happy chooks.

So here is the last few days of quick meals for one.

Seared tuna salad

The salad base – mixed lettuces, fennel, avocado, spring onion, cucumber, carrot, blanched asparagus (whatever is in fridge)

Vinegrette – pretty basic just olive oil, djon mustard, lemon juice.

A small chunk of fresh tuna (I love it but don’t eat it so often anymore due to the mercury levels alas). Rub with garlic and a little olive oil, roll in cracked pepper. In a non stick pan or griddle sear the outside. Let it rest for a minute and slice. It’s soft and raw on the inside and the outside is tasty and cooked.

Combine salad, with tuna and dressing. Eat.

Spinach and noodles

I had some baby spinach that was in need of eating in a hurry, so made this tasty vego dish for lunch on Thursday.

Cook some onion and lots of garlic in olive oil, add the spinach til wilted and coated with flavours. I added some divine marinated green olives (with lots of chilli, otherwise this dish would benefit from a bit of chilli or even a few drops of chilli oil), a generous squeeze of lemon and some cracked pepper.

Toss through some cooked buckwheat soba (it takes about 3 minutes to cook) and devour.

Avocado dip with crudités

I made this up when on the raw foods detox last month and have found it quite addictive. It is surprisingly filling and 100% healthy so you can feel virtuous.

Mash a ripe avocado, add a generous teaspoon of tahini, crushed garlic and lemon juice to taste. (On the detox I didn’t add salt or pepper, but if you have a particularly jaded palate you might need to).

Cut up some raw vegetables – this week it was sticks of carrot and daikon, but celery, cucumber and even capsicum (I loathe it but I realise some people actually like it) are also delicious. Scoop big chunks of dip on the raw veges and chew with a benevolent look on your face (optional, but scowling while eating this just wont work).

Asian style omelette roll up

I think Nigella came up with this in her program on temple food, but I have taken the egg and run with it a little. Variations on this are limited only by the scope of your culinary imagination.

The spicy lunch one on Saturday
In a small nonstick fry pan sauté some spring onion, finely sliced fresh shitake mushrooms (for this there is no substitute in the mushroom world) and thin shavings of garlic. I cooked it in raw sesame oil and a few drops of toasted sesame oil.
Beat 1 egg with a few drops of tamari. Pour over the sauted veges, leave on a low heat til cooked. You might need to flip it to finish it off if you are impatient. You have created a thin asian style omelette/pancake studded with thin slices of flavour.

Take a piece mountain bread (oat is my favourite one in the range). Add a scraping of your favourite relish, chutney or pickle (this was a sri lankan very, very hot mango pickle). Place slices of omelette on top and some crunchy lettuce and roll up.

It was so nice I did a breakfast one this morning, no garlic and less pickle, no lettuce. Very delicate and delicious.

Of course you can do different flavours and toppings – fresh ginger goes well. You can skip the chutney/pickle but I tend to put a thin scraping of Thomy mayonnaise on otherwise its too dry.

For those not fat/carb averse this would be very yummy on warm roti.


I refuse to believe cooking for yourself is an excuse to eat badly. All these took 15 minutes or less to make. I love the creative latitude that solo endeavours allow, that I just don't risk when cooking for others.

Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Well, I like eating food, not so much cooking it.

However most of these dishes are way too healthy. Where is the grease and fat? Or the excessive amount of salt or sugar?

Oh, it should be noted that I refuse to eat McDoanlds, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Pizza Hut etc.; not because of how unhealthy they are, but because of their terrible labour practices and their representing US cultural imperialism.

9:53 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

My preference is to support locally farmed organic produce, sold by sole traders who have a passion for the industry, rather than the cynical bigwigs who screw the small guy producer as much as possible.

Needless to say politically and health wise fast food chains are not my spiritual home.

Sorry to have no icecream for breakfast recipes for you.

12:31 pm  
Blogger guru Rex said...

YUM!!!!!!

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts