Tuesday, October 25, 2005

death of a hero

The news headlines came on the ABC and I listened from another room. I heard something like "One of the last heroes from the great war dies" and I thought they were referring to Rosa Parks. No they were talking about a state funeral for a WWI codger who'd popped his clogs.

Sadly this Great War is not over. The one that Rosa fought. Racism and its bed fellows, classism and sexism are still alive and well in both her home and the rest of the so called 1st world. The recent superdome debacle in New Orleans being a poignant reminder that the poor, black and female were left to rot in their own version of hell. The white and resourced found ways to leave town, those without had no choice but to stay behind to ride it out. A segregation of class continues to exist.

And still we don't learn.






Oh well my ears and mind, at least, live in hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justine said...

our little country could use some Rosa Parks style inspiration right about now.

10:32 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

I always loved the quote by Eugene Debs:

While there is a lower class I am in it,

While there is a criminal element I am of it,

While there is a soul in prison I am not free.

9:27 am  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

That is a beautiful quote. Thanks AleKs.

12:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts