Sunday, October 30, 2005

Battered savs and salvation

The fate of under paid Australian workers now seems to be in the hands of God. Howard has delegated the task to Christ’s representative on earth otherwise going by the name of Professor Ian Parker. Economist and conservative Anglican Parker, the head of the proposed Fair (sic) Pay Commission, stated in his speech to the Australian Christian Lobby conference, "I'll be praying for wisdom … praying for courage and praying above all that God's will is being done through this, not mine".

Trappings of the secular state, like the industrial relations commission seems to be slipping away under our man Howard. Being the good deputy to his northern hemisphere mentor, Australia seems to be taking another step towards a fundamental Christian regime.

What God is this, whose name is used to kill Iraqi’s and steal their oil? What God is this, who takes the minimum wage and stamps on it? What God is this, who increasingly uses the wealth of the state in the name of war and takes it away from the young, the sick, the elderly and the disadvantaged?

I am confused.

This wasn’t the figure introduced to me in Sunday School, who always seemed depicted patting cute little lambies. He was this benign figure which I freely associated with saveloys and sausage rolls. I think I only ever turned up at Sunday School for the end of the year party. Perhaps this is where I diverged from the course of Christianity and is why I just don’t get what is going on in this country.

PS: I step inside a church for the first time in years and see what it does to me.

PPS: type "saveloy + god" into wikepedia and see what you get.




















Shane Crawford - god or sausage? Please explain.

7 Comments:

Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Low wages and poor working conditions are definately not contradictory to Christianity - because it increases the chances of dying young and "meeting your maker".

10:03 am  
Blogger Chai said...

If you're poor, chances are you're or will be uneducated. If you're uneducated, then "Hello faith". It makes indoctrination more palatable, I guess.
But I do remember reading something where he said he didnt know any poor people personally and will be depending on XYZ to introduce him to some (cant remember what XYZ was). I was kind of hoping his compassion and emphathy was not reliant on him meeting poor people (ie. it existed prior). We shall see I guess.

6:18 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

from memory 'xyz' was members of his church

6:33 pm  
Blogger Chai said...

Fixing typo.. missing words in [].
...
Chances are you're [not well informed] or will be uneducated.
...

Of course this, above is a big generalisation.

And we obviously read the same papers, yet another argument more media diversity, which is not what will be happening, the way things are going.

Mann... now you got me going.

10:22 pm  
Blogger Chai said...

Excuse the typos, I can type and click on [Publish] faster than I can proof read. :-(
ie. ... argument _FOR_ more media diversity ...

10:39 pm  
Blogger R H said...

I grew up among poor people. Ignorant people. Drunken swine. They sneered at the church and always will. No one in our neighbourhood went to church - you'd have to be joking.
Churches are full of middle-class people, people like you, who've had a childhood where there wasn't blood on the floor every Saturday night.
Be thankful.
I listen to Christ. Be thankful for that too. Because if I didn't I'd have killed about ten thousand people by now.

1:31 am  
Blogger Magical_M said...

Shane Crawford.

A god once. Now... well, sausage is a bit harsh but I can't think of a better term.

Ben Dixon is my Hawk de jour. Lovely boy.

7:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts