Monday, August 22, 2005

This doesn’t bode well

I have entered into a new relationship. I have been procrastinating about it for a long time. I’ve known them for ages, but never felt that comfortable around them before. But in the end I got desperate.

I finally signed up for high speed cable. I have been agonising for well over a year. I knew I wanted it, its just Telstra is the only provider. And there’s nothing I hate more than a monopoly. Yes I could have gone for asdl, but the more I searched, the less point it made to pay as much or more, for something slower. So they had some seductive deal and I finally fell for their sweet talk.

The first part was easy. I just told them I wanted them and they welcomed me into their ‘winback’ fold with open arms. I signed my phone calls over to them and they got onto it right away. Regarding the cable they said, someone would call me tomorrow and I’d be all connected in the next 10 days. I went home in a flush of excitement and waited by the phone. One day, then another. I didn’t want to be pushy, so I gave them another day. Finally I called them, they seemed nonplussed, not all keen and gushy like they had been in the store. Didn’t they like me any more? Had this just been a ploy to get me where they wanted me? Yes, everything was in order and they were ready to install. Great, I sighed. The next available time they could see me is 3 weeks. What? What about the 10 days I had been promised? Has it been raining?, she responded. I found that question kind of flakey, what kind of a telco can't service you in wet weather? Oh we are busy when it rains, she nonchalantly intoned.

Busy? Busy! After so long I have agonised and thought of you day and night and you are too busy to see me for another three weeks? I feel used and abused and the relationship has only just begun.

This doesn’t bode well. I am to be engaged to them for 2 years or it will cost me dearly to leave them. Witches only jump over the broomstick to marry for a year.

I guess I have a lot to learn about long term relationships.

7 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

Oh dear, I wish you'd posted your intentions before signing on.
I'd never recommend anyone go cable for broadband, and if Telstra can supply DSL to you, a dozen other companies can too. I won't give you technobabble as to why, but despite what Telstra tell you, the case is true that you do have choice.
Sorry that you're finding out the hard way why I love (ahem) Telstra so much

2:49 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Reading that first paragragh I got a sick feeling in my stomach. It couldn't be so I thought, the woman I have grown to love and hope had grown to love me had found someone else.

However I was relieved to read the second paragraph and find out it was just an IT thing. A wave of relief washed over me.

However reading about the whole signing up to Telstra thing, I am starting to have second thoughts about you......

3:00 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I told you i wasn't feeling good about this!

DJ why is cable a bad thing over dsl?? Oh god i have a sick feeling in my stomach now.

Aleks, I hate the big telco's that's why i had taken my business away from them. I see I am now to be ousted from your affections for a bad IT decision. What about you, you krispie kreme lover! That's a double whammy - imported american crap plus really bad nutritional choice.

3:38 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Huh?

I think you have misread my comments on Ms Fits blog. I want to organise a picket outside Krispy Kreme.

3:41 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

oh i must have misunderstood the line
On the other hand, their donuts taste so good
I'm just having one of those days.

3:54 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

I was looking at things from the point of view of the latte left when I said that. You know, how they would toss up in their mind whether to stop eating Krispy Kreme donuts or not.

I don't know, you are becoming less and less attractive by the hour...

4:12 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

*sigh*

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts