Saturday, July 23, 2005

Insomnia

I’m tired, really tired. I have BBC-world-service-over-night-itis. A dreadful post September 11 addiction that when there are terrorist or humanity type things happening in the world and I’m having trouble sleeping I listen to those dulcet tones of the good people from the Beeb telling me all is well in the world. But unfortunately they aren’t and it isn’t and the last couple of nights have been a bit disturbing.

Thursday I listened to the second round of London public transport bombings getting phoned through. The ones where the detonaters went bang but there was no boom. I got caught up thinking what did that mean. Surely not another round of bombs THAT’S REALLY GOING OVER THE TOP? Why at lunchtime on relatively quiet trains, how did all 4 go wrong, was it deliberate, a warning, or a real stuff up, a copycat or the same perpetrators? Well you can see why I got no sleep.

Then last night, after such a pleasant evening and bedtime activities that should make a girl nod off with a rosey glow, I just had a quick little listen. Damm. This is what I heard. "lots of shouting, 'Get down! Get down!' " then "a man jumped onto the train hotly pursued by plainclothes officers".

"He looked left and right, he looked like a cornered rabbit, a cornered fox, he looked absolutely petrified. I saw the gun being fired five times into the guy. They held him down and unloaded five shots into him."


Not the usual story of the friendly bobby. We are yet to find out if the guy was wired up and ready to explode (as one witness said), a member of a terrorist cell or just the wrong colour.

These are disturbing times when “mind the gap” is the least of your worries.

PS: The Beeb came through with an update that the young Brazilian man was indeed innocent and had nothing to do with terrorism. The Met called it 'regretable' but i can think of other adjectives for their trigger happy behaviour.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

As a long time insomniac, I don't know what I would do now if I slept "normally"; I'm used to using all these extra hours in the day.

As for the second wave of bombings, they likely had nothing to do with the first. However any group that was planning something similar likely knows there time is almost up due to increased survellaince, so they likely decided "it is now or never".

As for the man shot, we live in times of shot now and ask questions later, guilty until proven innocent. The reality is we could all be subject to such treatment with all these new "anti-terror" laws, though obviously if you are dark or look middle eastern you are more likely to be subject to this.An unending cycle of violence breeding violence. Sigh.

3:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts